Wednesday, January 30

Potential for Positivity

Today I had an interesting revelation. I'm an assistant stage manager right now in a production of As You Like It at WaterTower Theatre in Addison. I'm also in a play here, Trouble in Mind. I am also in a student musical, UrineTown. I don't say this to complain but to set up the scenario:

Tonight was our 7:30 show of As You Like It, and, driving home about 11 pm, I knew in the back of my mind that my UrineTown rehearsal was still going on till 12 but my director thought I'd be at As You Like It until 12, so technically, I was off the hook. And I mean, at the time the last thing in the world I wanted to do was go from the show to another rehearsal. I would much rather have gladly bathed in magma.

Begrudgingly I told myself to go and dragged myself out of the car and on to the rehearsal, as unwillingly as a child to the dentist. So I'm in the rehearsal:

Here's the cheese at the end of the tunnel, to borrow a turn of phrase from my acting teacher-my UrineTown rehearsal, the absolute most negative-seeming thing for me at the time turned out the be quite the opposite! It was a great rehearsal with good, succesful work. My friends were there with me performing, too, and one positive after another kept popping up! Walking home from rehearsal I felt absolutely refreshed and eager, hopeful and optimistic (I had, by the way, been in a foul mood for much of the day).
So often we do this! We look at a thing as an absolute negative, a dead end, when, if we'd only check it out, it might be a most wonderful opportunity, an eye-opening experience, or that one last push of encouragement you needed! I mean, this sounds like an ultimate cliche, but its true nonetheless. I needed the reminder tonight.

Think-
how many amazing discoveries do we pass by every day simply because we don't dare to drag ourselves out of the mire of normalcy or comfort?!

No comments:

IDENTITY

Let me tell you about myself in an attempt for you to know me better. In an attempt to pull back the curtains and look inside my being to k...