Sunday, February 24

Creative Power

I was awed yesterday by the sheer power of creative thought. Really great, creative ideas have a power about them! A force, an aura, an essence-they all convey the same sense: that this thing, this idea, is a great thing.

So here's what me think about this. I was sitting backstage doing some homework waiting for my entrance, just in a chair writing. Putting my pen down, I took a moment's pause and my wandered around my past and focused on an old poem I wrote last year. Mentally I read that old poem, and the power of those words (I'm not trying to shamelessly brag on my poetry either) just made me stop and my breath was cut short. Thinking about those words in that creative order just had power to me! I gasped and thought how profoundly those words struck my soul! I won't share this poem, however. It's a rather personal one. But do you know what I mean?

Sometimes if you see a really wonderfully creative thing, be it a
painting or poem or song or building or tree leaf, it just makes you STOP.

I mean, there's a power there! It's undeniable, even if you maybe don't even like that thing, you still are awed by the power of the creativity it took to make it. Like Guernica, by Picasso (I'll stick to the visual here:)

Or many others. I mean I could post and post but then you wouldn't be thinking of your own examples! But let's find those things that have that creative power!

2 comments:

stoirmeil said...

Yes, I do know what you mean, and it is strong, though almost impossible to put into words. Since you are mentioning Picasso and the war that was the reason for that painting, there is a text you might like, by someone who did put it into the words of his own culture. That is Federico Garcia Lorca, and he wrote a long poetic essay about something called "duende." If you google on "Lorca" and "duende" you will find it. You will like it, I think, since you also like Nick Drake, and his work could also be said to be full of this spirit of duende.

stoirmeil said...

Yes, I do know what you mean, and it is strong, though almost impossible to put into words. Since you are mentioning Picasso and the war that was the reason for that painting, there is a text you might like, by someone who did put it into the words of his own culture. That is Federico Garcia Lorca, and he wrote a long poetic essay about something called "duende." If you google on "Lorca" and "duende" you will find it. You will like it, I think, since you also like Nick Drake, and his work could also be said to be full of this spirit of duende.

IDENTITY

Let me tell you about myself in an attempt for you to know me better. In an attempt to pull back the curtains and look inside my being to k...