Wednesday, February 27

Creative Concerns

After studying about so many new ways of advertising, be it guerilla or "viral" or what have you, I feel left in a deep shadow of doubt and urgency. I've felt this way since I was a kid and I would drive by buildings I thought about designing in my head but that some other adult already went out and made. That feeling is that all of the ideas I want(ed) to create have already or are now being created! I want to be out there now creating! I've been waiting since I was 12, drooling over the modern lines of the Adam's Hats Building in downtown dallas, to be a professional creator.



As I've grown, this desire has moved beyond architecture and now encompasses a more nebulous and disheartening realm of many different and unknown things that I want to do, to make, to create. That's the ultimate drive: to be able to pour out all of the ideas roiling around inside my head. But the hardest part is that I feel like I keep forgetting the good ones!



So many times during the day, I'll be composing a little symphony in my head, only wishing I could write it down instead of going to rehearse for 4 hours, during which time I'll definately forget it! Or I'll be sitting in a lecture and think of a great thing to post on here but that's dried up like a puddle in the sun of my mental focus being directed at other things. If these ideas get lost in just one or two days, think of the ideas I've forgotten over the years! I dare not think of it.



But the mind is an amazing thing and can always create new things. So when I look at a poster or an ad, I think, "How did they even think of that?!" How do I even think of anything? It gets created and the limits of creation don't exist! I suppose that's where I have to take solace: in the knowledge that although I may have lost a handful of ideas (which may have largely been terrible, anyway), or other people's ideas are already being created all over the place, my mind has the wonderful ability to generate unlimited and (hopefully) great ideas eventually, once I figure out my job(s).

In the meantime, I guess I'll just keep a journal or something, write down those bad boys.

No comments:

IDENTITY

Let me tell you about myself in an attempt for you to know me better. In an attempt to pull back the curtains and look inside my being to k...