Wednesday, February 20

Let's Get Gehry

Alright. Frank Gehry. For those of you who don't know who he is (you really ought to, though), he's a famous and often controversial architect, and his work inspires me personally!


Controversial, you ask? Let's peek at some of his projects!


First: The Dancing House in Prague, Czech Republic


Second: A hotel in Elciego, Spain


Third (his most famous work): The Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain



So clearly his work is astounding, whether or not you like it. Gehry is the master of deconstructivism and is considered one of the greatest innovators in modern architecture, right up there with I.M. Pei and Frank Lloyd Wright in my book. In addition to architecture, Gehry has designed countless and priceless works of sculpture, jewelry, and furniture. All of it follows his organic, fluid design. Here's a sketch of an example of his preliminary plan, from which we builds a model and then builds the building! (It's not the simple, but things move from sketch to reality rather quickly):

Amazing! I'm always floored to see his sketches and then see how his buildings come from them! His designs, to me, are so graceful and hopeful. They seem to elevate humanity with their otherworldly lines and it inspires a sense of whimsy and surreal wonder to be a person inside such a beautiful thing. It's a dream of mine to visit one of his creations, preferrably the museum in Bilbao. To wander through it would be such a wonderful thing!


I'd post more pictures but I don't want to elongate this too much, but please check out more of Gehry's works! Or you can watch a great documentary on him that came out some years back:





1 comment:

Cas said...

I was skimming over some of the Advertising blogs when I saw this post. I realized that we had just looked at some of Frank Gehry's sketches in my art class--mainly those of the dancing house.

I have to agree with you whole heartedly! Drawing wise, I love how fluid all his sketches are. You can tell that hardly anything comes between his ideas and the paper.

Loved it!

IDENTITY

Let me tell you about myself in an attempt for you to know me better. In an attempt to pull back the curtains and look inside my being to k...