Tuesday, February 19

Right on Target

Here's a jolly commercial for Target that I really enjoy. I was cruising through people's comments about it and I thought this was rather telling:

SugarQueen96 (4 months ago)
this is the best!!! it makes me so happy, im going to target!!!

Just the song sells the store! At least for this one person posting on YouTube...

But how about that intertextuality? Well...horizontally...the three "resolutions" people with the patches on their arms made me think of all the ads for Nicorette anti-smoking patches and other brands of the same product. Also, the plate of dancing food made me think of the ads, mostly on the sides of their vans, for GroceryWorks.com. I loved those ads! Sadly the company doesn't seem to be around anymore too much, at least here in North Texas. When I saw the woman walking that dog with a smile on his face, I thought about that one car spot some years ago. It was the one that likened each car to its type of owner and would show the front of a car and then show the face of a person that matched that car (another great spot, by the way).

Vertically...well, the woman with the biceps holding the baby's cradle made me think of the tv show, Desperate Housewives. I don't necessarily watch that show at all, but the woman looks like Eva Longoria and the shot behind the woman looks surreally beautiful, sort of like the world of the show. Also, I thought about the movie Amelie when I saw the "color-coded" shot because of the strong color-codes from that movie, predominately the use of green. Also, the older gentleman at the end of the commercial reminds me of Gene Autry, the singing cowboy! In addition to these, I thought of a smattering of memories from my own life and also bits and pieces from many different songs I like. But in total, I love this commercial! It's quite happy, don't you think?

No comments:

IDENTITY

Let me tell you about myself in an attempt for you to know me better. In an attempt to pull back the curtains and look inside my being to k...