Monday, March 31

Pandora: The Best Thing for Music Since...


So if you haven't heard, there is a fantastic thing called Pandora-it's a free and extremely innovative internet radio. It is the child of the Music Genome Project which is an exhaustive listing of almost all the music ever (it's trying). It organizes music song by song according to a large selection of hundreds of musical characteristics (like DNA in the human genome project). SO basically, when you subscribe for free to Pandora you create radio stations based on an artist or a song. You type it in and the music genome databased assembles a radio station of music with similar characteristics! Then, as you listen, you let Pandora know what you like and what you don't like and it learns to really hone your stations to only what you really like. It's a fantastic thing and the staff is very personable and send personal emails.
I just started listening in the past month but it's been out since 2005. My fear is that it won't continue to be free (there is a paying subscription status that gets you some extra features)-like most good and cool public things, they soon cost money sadly. I only wish more people with money could see the merit in helping support good causes (Pandora is not that needy-don't get me wrong).
But this definately follows the trend of individualization in advertising, too! I mean there's some advertising in it for Puma and some other sponsors. but this thing is totally individualized and offers a primitive means of creating your own user page and being able to network with other fans of your music. it's a forward-thinking model for many more indivualized ad schemes to come. but if I have to pay for my Pandora, I might just do it. It's that cool. So I guess individualization worked on me.
Open the box. Get hooked. You will.

Pandora.com (easy!)

No comments:

IDENTITY

Let me tell you about myself in an attempt for you to know me better. In an attempt to pull back the curtains and look inside my being to k...