Tuesday, April 22

First Hand: The Power of the Group

Tonight I was in a meeting with a group for a creative advertising project in which we're building a Rube-Goldbergesque contraption to symbolize the component parts of an advertising concept. To preface this meeting, you gotta understand that I've never understood synergy totally. I had a pretty good idea what I was about from simple deductive inference but you know, I wasn't textbook sure.

So we're working on our project and discussing the designs and thinking of names for parts and materials for this tube and that widget, etc; and it occured to me: our group had created synergy! We were liberally interacting with one another, playing off each other's ideas, asking one another for advice and their input, sharing the limelight throughout. We also had our personalities jiving in harmony. I'm usually the guy who talks wayyy too much and tries to do everything himself and I had to hold myself back-mostly because my group is great and far-passed competent. But my personality was jiving with the more analytical or whimsical or playful tenets of my group members' personalities and they were in harmony, not dischord. Also, we each had our own knowledge regarding the project or peripheral things associated with it. I might know a bunch about the design but this person over there knows all about creative organization while someone over here likens this aspect to Mouse Trap (the game) and creates a cool idea! I mean, there was synergy goin on in that apartment tonight. It was cool to see it working firsthand


Oh-and ironically enough, our project is about synergy, for the record. But that's not the reason it happened. Who knows why, really? It did!

No comments:

IDENTITY

Let me tell you about myself in an attempt for you to know me better. In an attempt to pull back the curtains and look inside my being to k...