Sunday, April 27

Self-Trust...?

I have many things to say about my creative process lately, it seems. I guess it's all those creative things I'm doing nowadays or something. So I was thinking about the decision making process I discussed at some length last time and I came to some sort of new conclusion about my sense of trust in my ideas.

We always learn now (we used to learn the opposite) that you shouldn't go with your gut instinct first idea but you should keep creating and trying new things, both good and bad , the shamefully poor and the brilliantly gleaming. But then what? So I've got this page or this head full of these good, bad, and ugly ideas staring at me/rolling around upstairs. Which one do I choose? Which one!?

Lately here's what I do: I pick the idea that makes me the most nervous. The one that kinda makes me squirm a bit inside, that makes me shift uneasily. It's a feeling that says, "I'm really unsure about this" followed by a faint voice that says excitedly "But this could be amazing!". And then another voice says, "Ryan, it's terrible. And it's too risky. And you need to stop talking to yourself." But it's the idea that I can't sit well with but that I know somewhere in my heart that it's a good thing. I don't know if it's the thing to solve the problem I'm trying to solve but I know it's a good thing and it could very well be a fantastic thing. It's that drop of glorious hope that pursuades me to choose the ocean of queasy, possibly wonderful risk over the puddle of safe, "this works", ease.

No comments:

IDENTITY

Let me tell you about myself in an attempt for you to know me better. In an attempt to pull back the curtains and look inside my being to k...