Friday, May 2

Beauty is a fine-feathered thing

This is a picture I found on my news website, BBC news. Check out the caption:
"A rooster stands proud as it is judged in a birds' beauty contest in Saudi Arabia's eastern city of Qatif."

What this inspires in me is the global idea of beauty, I think. Not just all beauty as a whole, because I mean, we can't compare and woman or man who is beautiful with a chicken. (or can we?). But this chicken, to some people, is beautiful. Like pigs or chihuahuas, which some people think are just wonderful to look at. Everywhere else has their meanings of beauty instilled in that culture, in those people. The things I'll find beautiful in my life will be a certain way because of my socialization and I don't see this ever changing. I can't help what I find beautiful, I just do.

But as global humans, we should learn to appreciate the beauty others find in things, appreciate their sense of what is lovely, what is good, what is estimable. Our sense of these things is not the only sense of things. I guess I think about this because of the difficulty of conveying the same degree of beauty to everyone-you just can't! It's a challenge and responsibility of advertisers, then, to be careful when they portray something that is meant to be the paragon of beauty. It must be carefully carefully considered and maybe not conveyed as absolute. Just one more way to be socially responsible, I'd say.

No comments:

IDENTITY

Let me tell you about myself in an attempt for you to know me better. In an attempt to pull back the curtains and look inside my being to k...