Friday, May 2

Half-Price, King of Books

I was Half-Price the other day perusing, where one real dollar means two dollars in Half-Price's world. For the value, why would I go anywhere else to browse and snoop? Sometimes there is a selection shortage (at smaller Half-Prices) but you're going to find something. That's the snare. I walked in not needing anything but I was there with my friend who needed a certain book. But walking around, I thought, why not? Once I picked up one book, I was on the buying train. So i picked up some things for creative inspiration, some sources of ideas and encouragements.




So I went and found this wonderful children's book by a guy named Colin Thompson. When I was young, I used to read this book by him about Atlantis, and I mean, I would check that book out weekly if my friends hadn't got to it first. I would pore over his illustrations and finds all these little detailed worlds he'd draw in the tiniest parts of his illustrations! (Like Michelangelo, you know?) They are so detailed and imaginative and even as a (young) adult I enjoyed looking at them and enjoying their detailed whimsy. Here's the book I bought (I haven't been able to find my Atlantis book yet). $5.58



I am also inspired by photography, particularly candid and environmental photography. So I found this wonderful book of still life photography by Charles Traub. It's filled with these snapshot moments of people in mid-conversation, mid-chewing, mid-sleeping, what have you. Walking, jumping, swimming, too. They're filled with so much candid action, such vitality and energy, and they are very fun to look at. You just have to wonder what was going on in these moments of life. It's a very nice part of my growing collection of the arts. $7.00

Finally, I bought one more thing that does in fact inspire me. I don't generally have time for games but when I'm at Half-Price and I find an amazingly priced interesting and mentally-challenging game, I'm usually a sucker. So I found this really intriguing strategy game and I bought it. It's called the Rise of Legends, and what most impressed me were the races and technologies available for play in the game. One aspect are these humans who live in armed city-states with names like Vinci, Petruzzo, etc-just like historical, feudal Italy! And the technologies of their worlds are these mechanical behemoths of gears and pipes and gadgets, all based on real sketches by Leo di Vinci! It's really quite fantastic and imaginative to see! There is merit in the creativity it took to create such a unique and original game, and it does in fact inspire me in its own way. $10.00

So get to Half-Price and find yourself some of your own inspiration. I found mine-and it was cheap.

No comments:

IDENTITY

Let me tell you about myself in an attempt for you to know me better. In an attempt to pull back the curtains and look inside my being to k...